Crabtree Falls

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Rah Rah Sis Boom Bah


In the late 70's and early 80's, when I was rooting for America's team, I would always love thumbing through the latest Dallas Cowboys Weekly Newspaper.  Dad subscribed to it for me.  What a gift!  I got the paper for many years. 

Here's a book that Dad gave me.  I remember struggling to read it - it was just a little too advanced for my age then.  Eventually one year I did read it all, and enjoyed it.  I was a huge Staubach fan!



In time I hope to scan and share a Cowboys team photo that was autographed by most of the team.  This was when Danny White was QB.  And Dorsett was # 33.  I knew all the players, their numbers and their stats.  Through an Auburn relationship he had, Dad contacted Robert Shaw, who was a center for the Dallas Cowboys.  Shaw sent an autograph picture of himself, and the one of the entire team.  Dad had these framed, and then surprised me with on my birthday, I believe.  As a kid, it was one of my best gifts ever!


I can't help but hark back to January 10, 1982. My team, the Dallas Cowboys, was playing the San Francisco 49ers. The game was dramatic, a real nail-biter.  With under a minute remaining, Dwight Clark made a miraculous catch at the back of the end zone, pulling out a victory for the 49ers. I had to hear this news at church because, rather than let me stay home to watch the final quarter of the game, my mom "forced" us to to go to Church Training and the Evening Service at the First Baptist Church. Although I didn't voice it, it certainly bothered me.  Why couldn't I stay home to see the end of that game?!?  Believe you me...if there's a god, he/she was smart enough to be watching it!  Click here for a replay of the game.

My dad is the "brother Mark" here.  This is an old journal entry by Watty Espy of Headland, Alabama.

1 comment:

Jeffrey said...

maybe this beauty was a stumbling block for young romeo...i mean romo. perhaps jessica caught him staring at the cheerleader, then had a message delivered to him on the sidelines, telling him "it is over." tony was no good after that.