Crabtree Falls

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Devilish


As lads in Headland, Miles and I somehow got our hands on the hit record, The Devil Went Down to Georgia. Honestly, Miles more than likely was the one to snag it and bring it home. Anyway, we excitedly played the tune several times. One day we apparently pumped up the volume a tad too much. Mom ran to our room and confiscated our record! Why did Mom seize it? See, this classic had a filthy word......some foul language. "I done told you once you son of a bitch, I'm the best that's ever been!" Ole' Charlie must have even felt guilty for undermining the morals of young, impressionable boys and girls because he later changed the words to make the lyrics more palatable to the moms of the world. I searched high and low on the Net for the original version. Couldn't find it. If you do, please post it in comments. In the meantime, here's the tamer form. Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qepv1mtYdx0
Since Queen (at the 2013 I Heart Radio Festival) and Casey Kaseem have been in the news of late, how 'bout combining the two? When I was growing up in the late 70s-early 80s, on Sunday evenings, as I was lying in bed trying to go to sleep, I had my music box on the floor, and the radio was set to the American Top 40. One night I remember Casey introducing Another One Bites The Dust by Queen. Loved that song. Still do!

2 comments:

Jeffrey said...

I met Charlie Daniels, when he performed at my fraternity house at Auburn. Very nice man. The version he played that night was the son of a gun version. Here's the original:

Well
The Devil went down to Georgia,
He was looking for a soul to steal.
He was in a bind, 'cause he was way behind,
He was willing to make a deal.
When he came across this young man
Playin' a fiddle and playing it hot.
And the Devil jumped up on a hickory stump
And said, "Boy let me tell you what-
You probably didn't even know it, but I'm a fiddle player too,
And if you'd care to take a dare,
I'll just make a bet with you.
Now you play pretty good fiddle, boy,
But give the Devil his due.
I'll bet a fiddle of gold against your soul,
I think I'm better than you."

Boy said, "My name's Johnny and it might be a sin,
But I'm gon' take your bet, you're gon' regret,
I'm the best that's ever been."

Johnny, rosin up your bow and play your fiddle hard,
'Cause hell's broke loose in Georgia and the Devil deals the cards
And if you win you'll get this shiny fiddle made of gold,
But if you lose, the Devil gets your soul!

The Devil opened up his case and he said, 'I'll start this show'
And fire flew from his fingertips as he rosined up his bow.
And then he pulled his bow across the strings and it made an evil hiss.
Then a band of demons joined in,
and it sounded something like this.

When the Devil finished, Johnny said,
"Ya know you're pretty good old son,
But you just flop down in that chair right there
I'ma show you how this stuff's done!"

Fire on the Mountain, run, boys, run.
Devil's in the House of the Risin' Sun.
Chicken in the breadpan picking out dough,
Granny does your dog bite, "No, child, no."

Well that old Devil bowed his head because he knew that he'd been beat.
And he laid that golden fiddle down on the ground at Johnny's feet.
Johnny said, "Devil, come on back
If you ever want to try again
I done told you once, you son of a bitch
I'm the best there's ever been."

And he played:
Fire on the Mountain, run, boys, run.
Devil's in the House of the Risin' Sun.
Chicken in the breadpan picking out dough,
Granny does your dog bite, "No, child, no."

Anonymous said...

I met Charlie too, with coups @ the fraternity house...Actually I think I just happened upon him when I was searching frantically for an indoor restroom but he seemed to be a nice man. I've always had a fond love of the song as well. Coyote Ugly has a great scene you guys would appreciate where they dance on the bar pouring alcohol on it, lighting it and dancing through fire; I've always wanted to do that! Hey, a girl's gotta dream, right? Fire on the Mountain run boys run...I've told you once you son of a &!+@# I'm the best that's ever been...:) -N