Crabtree Falls

Monday, January 12, 2009

America's Best

I had to think long and hard about this: What facets of American life do I treasure the most? In my humble opinion, after spending a bit of time overseas, these four aspects of our country are standouts.
 
 
National Parks

Although I personally am not an outdoors person, I have come to appreciate the vast array of parks and scenic places in the country. Asheville, NC is really a gem for outdoor activities, but you can find all kinds of natural settings all over this land. Movies like Into the Wild and An Unfinished Life are a couple of my favorites simply for the scenery. Now, if I can only set aside my TV viewing and partake in some outdoor fun!


Places of Learning

We have no excuses not to know things or not to better ourselves through education. I love the fact that public universities open up their facilities for all the public. In fact, right now, I am in a university library using the Internet for free. And, when I am finished updating my blog, I might even check out a book or two. Checking out books is super when you consider the economy these days! In addition, American university campuses are sprawling and well-manicured. There's no better spot to exercise or relax than on a campus quad. Lastly, for middle-aged folks like me or for the very elderly, universities offer lectures, host concerts, bring in political figures, etc. Again, many of these activities are free to the public.

 
Amusement

I mentioned Hollywood as a great escape. I enjoy movies while I'm traveling and when I'm home. However, another form of entertainment that reigns supreme in the U.S. is amusement parks. Disney World is the standard-bearer, but there is a plethora of options for young and old alike. If you desire smaller parks, you can hit Hershey Park or Six Flags. If you want water, water parks are all over. And, for those who enjoy a more high-end form of entertainment, there's Broadway.


Comfortable Homes and Big Yards

Live in a small apartment in a vast, overcrowded metropolis like Bangkok and you begin thinking about your younger years, when playing in the backyard was something you enjoyed. Also, there's something to say about being able to stretch out on the sofa and run around the house.

No comments: