Crabtree Falls

Friday, January 15, 2010

Headland Stockyards, Inc.

Wiregrass Farmer
April 15, 1954

The Dothan Eagle
July 8, 1954




Wiregrass Farmer
July 29, 1954







Major Espy on left

Major Espy, up in box, on far left

March 1957



One year (probably in 1981), when the Headland Stockyards was already out of business or was on its very last legs, Dad took my brother Miles, my step-brother Luke and me to the stockyards to "break" our calves (that's training our show calves!). We had to corral them, run them into a chute and then put halters on them. I remember being terrified that one of the steers would run me over!  I always kept one foot on the fence just in case I needed a fast escape.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a lot of good memories of that place. I was fortunate enough to spend of few long summer vacations "helping" my grandfather, William Cecil Knowles, during the Wednesday sales back in the mid-70's (from about age 8 till my early teens). By "helping", I mean he would pay my cousins and I 10 or so dollars to get in the way all day and help load and unload trailers (we were the official gate holders). I must have climbed through that window between the office and barn 500 times. I know this is an old post, but I appreciate the pictures and wish I had some of my own. Kurt Knowles, Echo, Alabama