Hank, Merle and Waylon. West Asheville.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Winning It All

I'm hearing that this year's Headland High basketball team is very strong and is advancing possibly to the state playoffs. I hope they do well.

In 1984, the Headland Rams won the Alabama 2-A State Championship. I went to one or two of the games in Tuscaloosa with the Baxleys: Jerome, Diane, David and Eric (my classmate and friend). If you were in Headland, AL at that time, you would have been excited about the Rams. They were that good!

The team arrived back in Headland with the big trophy. Headland residents came out to support them. Here I am with Kenneth Morris, who was one of the "big men" on the team. Playmaker, A.C. King, has a smile on his face.

On the left is Coach Steve Williams, a basketball coaching legend in the Wiregrass.

On the left, is the team's star, Bobby Joe Jackson. He was the dominant player on very talented and deep team. Bobby Joe went on to have a strong college career. His brother Sammy was an assistant coach at Auburn, and his younger brother, Franklin, had a successful collegiate career in his own right.

A shot of the crowd. I can recognize several people. My brother Mark is in the blue shirt.






UPDATE: Headland friend and ex-HHS classmate Malissa Sanders recently went to a Rams game. She took these photos so that I could add them to my blog. She also told me that Headland went to the Regionals in Mobile, and lost a close one, ending their successful year.
Here's a note Dad wrote where he mentions Headland's championship and praises Coach Steve Williams:




No comments: