Crabtree Falls

Monday, December 6, 2010

Atlanta Fun

On Saturday evening, after Auburn's big victory, we went to stay the night with Bud and Beverly Dayries. Beverly Espy Dayries is a first cousin once removed.  She is a big contributor to this blog and has a tremendous love for family history.  After a night of family genealogy talks and gossip, we carried our fun to a local Olive Garden for Round Two. I attached a three-year old photo of Bud and Beverly's family, including the sons-in-law and grandkids. Another grandchild is now on the way! Beverly's late father, John J Espy, Jr. (Bud John), was Major's and Sarah Frances' brother.  You can research more under Dad's Side and Espys.




 

I decided to add four more scans.  These photos were a part of Uncle Watty's collection.  Cousin Beverly is in all of them!  She's the only adult in the first picture.  She's holding her daughter Carolyn while her other daughter, Amy, looks their way.  I am wearing the maroon shirt, in front.  With me are my brothers Mark and Miles, my sister Leslie and my cousin Melanie.



Left:  Watty and Beverly, Right: Beverly?

I know the one with Watty and me is right.  I remember the steps in the background.  They were alongside our dining room at 124 West Benson St. in Decatur and led to a very narrow screen door on the screened front porch.  I'm pretty sure the other one is me, but not absolutely positive. - Beverly

1 comment:

Beverly Dayries said...

The one of the little boy in the rocking chair does appear to be Watty, and while I don't recognize me, I think it likely is me in that photo. The location is what looks familiar. It looks like it was taken on the front east side of the house where I lived from 1935 - 1960. 124 W. Benson St., Decatur, GA. The steps led up to an outside entrance to the back side of the screen porch. Then there is the picture of the little girl sitting alone on the steps. I see the Espy written in the cement - must be the same where you signed off in the Espy house video. Offhand I don't recognize the little girl as being me. However, I do know my mother dressed me in bonnets when I was little. Aunt Frances would have been living in New York or New Jersey when I was that age. I don't know another little girl who would have been visiting at Granny's house - but, of course, there could have been. The only other little girl I can think of near my age who I know of that might have visited Granny was Gwen Walden who died about two years ago. Gwen's mother was Katherine Carroll Walden, a niece of Granny's. However, Gwen had very dark hair. I'm just not at all sure about that second picture. If you can't come up with a positive ID on the second one, you might just put "Maybe Beverly." The first one is probably Watty and me at my house on Benson St. I've never seen either of the two photos before.