Crabtree Falls

Monday, December 16, 2013

Windy City, Happy Days & 10,000 Lakes

In the late '90s I took a trip to Chicago. Stayed for a few days in the Windy City (doesn't pertain to the weather, btw), before jumping up on an Amtrak train heading to Minneapolis-St. Paul.  At each destination were some friends I made during my time in Uzbekistan. They too had been teaching English, and "serving the Lord."  The train from Chicago to Minneapolis passed through Milwaukee - the edge of the city really.  As I looked out the train window at the skyline, I thought of the sitcoms Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley. After a few days in Minnesota, I returned via train to Chicago for more sightseeing.
 
A little side note:  Growing up, my dad and step-mom took us to a golf charity event - I think in Birmingham.  It was to raise money and awareness for Down's Syndrome, and all kinds of celebrities were going to be on hand.  I want to think that we saw Bear Bryant.  For sure, Miles and I walked up to Terry Bradshaw and got his autograph, with Miles, in typical big brother fashion, saying to the Pittsburgh great, "He's a Dallas Cowboys fan!"  My face turned beet red, but Terry made a joke, and proceeded with the autograph.  The most star struck moment, though, was when I spotted "Potsie"  (Anson Williams) from Happy Days. 

Another memory I have is coming home from school and watching Chicago Cubs on WGN.  I did it a lot, and knew all the players.  My favorite was Ryan Sandburg.  Harry Carey called the games.   
 
 w/ Kimberley - Chicago Chinatown
 
Other Chicago experiences:
 
Moody Bible Institute
Soldier Field
Museum of Science and Industry
The Field Museum of Natural History
South Side drive - view of Comiskey Park
Michael Jordan's Restaurant
Navy Pier
Michigan Avenue
Wrigley Field
Ethiopian restaurant near Wrigley 
 
w/ Wendy (right) and two of her friends
 
I remember less about my time in Minneapolis, for some reason.  It was cold.  I do know that!  I recall walking around downtown Minneapolis and seeing the Target Center (home of the NBA's Timberwolves).  Wendy and another friend of hers also treated me to a wonderful dinner in a trendy part of town.  It was there that I learned of Minnesota's nickname, "Land of 10,000 Lakes."  One other thing comes to mind:  We did a late afternoon walk around the Minnesota Sculpture Garden.

No comments: