Crabtree Falls

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Light Bread Pudding

I would toast it (the bread) in the oven (toaster, I think) and cut it into strips and then put it into a dish.  I added some butter and some flavoring in it, and let it brown.  It made a pudding.  And it was real good.  - my grandmother Dot on her microwave light bread pudding

This very easy recipe - with no measurements! - was one my grandmother shared during a taped interview for a class project I did my freshman year of high school.  On my visits to her home, I always enjoyed whipping up the instant vanilla or chocolate Jell-O Instant Pudding.  We would use the mixer that you turned by hand.  It did the job!  On occasion, my grandmother would make light bread pudding.  I always thought she added an egg too.  A few times, on my own over the years, I'd make a version of it myself.  It never was quite as good.  But if you look at this more detailed recipe, it's pretty much the same ingredients you'd find in a Krispy Kreme Donut or a scoop of ice cream.

No comments: