Crabtree Falls

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Victory Day




I have already highlighted some family members who served in World War II. Their stories can be found in my archives. WWII is of particular interest to me. A visit to Germany back in 1992 awakened a curiosity to read books, interview vets, tour museums, watch movies and travel to far-away destinations associated with the war. I've also sought out relationships with people of my generation who live in some of the countries (e.g. Japan, Germany, China, England) that were active participants in the war. The photos above were made by an American contact (incidentally, from Albany, GA) now working in Moscow, Russia. Just recently he attended a May 9th celebration that paid respects to Soviet veterans who served and died during WWII - or, as it's called in Russia: The Great Patriotic War. These are some of the images he took. There was a parade in Red Square, and then other festivities at the Victory Park and Museum. A couple of years ago I toured the museum. The exhibitions were mind-blowing.

No comments: