Max Patch Mountain

Friday, May 24, 2013

Major Carroll Funeral

Photo Source:  The Montgomery Advertiser
This is not a photo that accompanied his obituary.  In fact, haven't uncovered his obituary yet.
An earlier photo - Major Carroll (w/ cane) surrounded by his wife and children.

Bio from his time as state legislator
MAJOR CARROLL, of Ozark, Ala. was born near Ozark, Dale County, Ala. April 25, 1851, and is the son of James and Penny Elizabeth (Kennedy) Carroll, and the grandson of James and Rhodie (Stevenson) Carroll, of Johnston County, N.C. and of Benjamin Kennedy and his wife of Leonora County, N.C.  James Carroll, Sr. came from Scotland first to Ireland, thence to America. His name there was James McCarroll, being the son of Duncan McCarroll.  The Mc was left off when James Carroll came to this country.  He first stopped on the Virginia coast, then moved to Johnston County, N.C. where he became a large planter and slave holder.  James Carroll, Jr. was born in Johnston County, N.C.  He lived at Smithfield in that County until 1837, when he moved to Dale County, Ala.  He served in the Indian War.  Major Carroll was educated in  the schools in and near Ozark, Ala.  He has been a farmer since 1869, and is the President of the M.O. Carroll Grocery Company.  He was a Director of the Alabama Midland and Plant System of Railroads until they were sold to Atlantic Coast Line.  He has served several times on the Board of Aldermen.  He is an active Democrat, and Methodist, a Mason, an Odd Fellow, and a Knight of Pythias.  He was married Jan 11, 1872 near Echo, in Dale County to Sarah Elizabeth Branch, the daughter of John W. and Emma (Hook) Branch, of Echo.  Mrs. Branch's father served in the Mexican War and the War of Succession.
Source:  Alabama Official and Statistical Register, 1911, page 108-109
Legislative Department, Dale County 


Carroll Photo ID
Taken at funeral of Major Carroll
(25 Apr 1851 – 04 Aug 1917)
Ozark, Dale County, Alabama

1. Olive Irene Carroll (Atkinson)
2. Emma Penelope Carroll (Espy) - married J.J. Espy of Headland, AL
3. Sam Jones Carroll
4. Sarah Belle Carroll (West) - her nickname was Sallie or Sally.
5. John Wesley Carroll - an Army major
10. Corinne Carroll (Dunn)
11. Sarah Elizabeth Branch (Carroll) - widow of Major Carroll

One child had already died:  James William Carroll was no more than two years old when he died.  He is buried at Union Cemetery in Ozark along with his parents Major Carroll and Sarah Elizabeth Branch.

Some of the name identifications (above) came from, which like Wikipedia, allows input from anyone.  Sometimes mistakes get made, and bad information gets passed along.  The same, of course, can happen with my blog.  Right now, there's still some confusion over the Carroll men's names.   According to, #3 is John Carroll, # 5 is Major Oscar Carroll, and # 9 is Sam J. Carroll.   However, my research shows the listing above.  Yet when I compiled it, I felt sure it was right.  For now, I will keep my own listing above until we get more information.
James William
Emma Penelope
Major Oscar
John Wesley
Marvin Cook
Sarah Belle
Samuel Jones
Olive Irene

Married names for the ladies:

Mrs. J.J. Espy (Emma)
Mrs. U. McNiel (Anna)
Mrs. T.A. West (Sarah Belle)
Mrs. T. Atkinson (Olive Irene)
Mrs. G.L. Dunn (Corinne)
Mrs. J.B. Mills (Ruth)

The photo (above) was found at the Espy House in Headland, AL. when the house was being emptied before selling. There was a note clipped to the photo from “Florence,” who I assume was Florence Carroll (Matthews) of Ozark, AL.  I don’t know whether she had been addressing it to her Aunt Emma, (Emma Carroll Espy) or to her cousin Sara Frances Espy Sidney Lee.The note read, “This picture was taken the day of Grandfather Carroll’s funeral.  I thought you might like to have a copy.  Love, Florence.”  Florence would have been sending this picture many years after 1917.  - Beverly Espy Dayries

Union Cemetery, Ozark, Dale County, Alabama
Source:  Find A Grave

Sarah Branch Carroll, died in 1933

This blog post is a partial redo.  I wanted to add the cemetery photos and bring attention to the fact that I still need a Carroll descendant to help complete some pretty big missing pieces of the Carroll family tree - for example, correctly identifying all the Carrolls in the funeral picture (above).  I am also hoping to track down Major Carroll's actual obituary - and Sarah Branch Carroll's as well.   Of course, it would be nice to collect any photos of the Carroll line, as far back as we can go, and on up to the present day.  Right now I am creating a Carroll tag in categories, so anything pertaining to them will get filed there.  If anyone Googles this, please e-mail me at Thanks!


Anonymous said...

I ran across your blog and was excited to see information & photos concerning my family (and apparently yours too!) I knew quite a bit about the Carroll family by way of my membership in the Children (and later the Sons) of the American Revolution. However, I’ve never seen pictures except of my Great Grandfather & Great Grandmother. George Luther Dunn & Corrine Carroll Dunn. Anyhow, I just wanted to thank you for posting that information. It was a blast to associate a face with the names I’ve heard of all my life.

My cousins Kim and John were born, raised, and live in Ozark. My Dad, James Carroll Dunn, Jr., was an officer in the U.S. Army. Therefore, I was a military brat that didn't grow up in Ozark. However, I do have some books, papers and pictures I can dig up. Corrine was my great grandmother. My Grandfather was James Carroll Dunn, Sr., who passed away at age 90 in 2012. That side of the family definitely has the longevity gene. I do remember Corrine, though she passed when I was four in 1976. She lived in the family house next door to the Methodist Church on Broad Street in Ozark. When she died the house went to the Church. They sold it and put a parking lot there. The house though still exists on the Bypass (US 231) and is part of a number of houses moved to that site for an artist colony.

Take care. -Chris Dunn

Anonymous said...

P.S. - I'm James Christopher Dunn. The James from (obviously) James Carroll, Christopher comes from the Dunn side of the family.

Anonymous said...

Ok ... I'm looking at your history on the Carroll's and it is indeed the same family ... looks like Your Major Carroll was the brother of George Washington Huffam Carroll ... My great great grandfather .. ye ha! You have info I never knew ... Adding it in to my stuff!!! So we are double cousins .. looks like Eva and Thornton were cousins as well????? uhh oooooh ... distant I hope LOL. Or maybe the Carroll brothers just married into the same family??? Cousin Marjorie Whitley

Anonymous said...


We were just in Ozark for a mini family reunion and I began searching for some Carroll history and stumbled across your blog posts.

I am a descendent of Major Carroll as well and thought I would touch base.

My father, Benjamin Sam Carroll (Birmingham), and his brother, John Marvin Carroll (Montgomery) were both born (fraternal twins) in Ozark to Mary Powell Carroll and John Branch Carroll. They also have an older sister Mary and all still survive. They still jointly own some of the original property near Ozark city limits that is used today for timber farming.

Their father, John Branch Carroll, my grandfather for whom I’m named, worked at the M. O Carroll Warehouse but passed away in 1968 when I was only 2 years old.

My grandmother Mary Powell Carroll passed away in 1999 shortly after a series of strokes.

Anyway I thought I’d email you and thank you for your excellent research. I’ve forwarded it to my Dad and I know he’ll really enjoy perusing it.