Hank, Merle and Waylon. West Asheville.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Remembering Edith Vann Espy

Hard to believe, but it's been exactly 25 years since my grandmother Edith died of cancer.  We actually called her Deedee.  At least her grandchildren did!  To learn more about Deedee, search under Vanns in categories in the right sidebar.

This is likely my favorite picture of Deedee.  Circa early '60s.



I am the grandson the preacher refers to.  I had given $20 to the church, probably from my calf show (show steer) money.  I actually kept that cashed check for many years.  Incidentally, one of the things Dad used to always tell me when I was a boy was to follow the Bible's 10% tithe principle.  He'd share this while we were in the truck at the farm.  Another time - one I remember specifically - was when were riding in his truck on E Church St. in Headland. 






And, three years ago, on July 25th, my mother suffered her "cardiac arrest" in Dothan.  It's still a shock, but I will always remember the conversation we had the day before.

No comments: