Crabtree Falls

Monday, November 18, 2013

How Japanese View Americans

I had worked with an uncle (by marriage) at the bank in Headland during the '90s.  After I left and started traveling a bit and settled down in Bangkok, I would return home to see family and friends. Sometimes I'd get some pretty good questions.  I remember this uncle asking me what the Japanese thought of Americans, a couple of generations after the war.  So we talked a bit about it, when I was sitting in his office.  Much later, in 2009, after Kade and I had settled in Asheville, I read about Asia's fast rise, and it prompted me to explore this subject a bit more, with this same uncle.  I sent him an e-mail that included this:

While it's on my mind, I know you asked about how Japanese might view the US today....taking into account WWII.  I have only had one honest discussion with a Japanese friend.  She shared that her grandfather had very negative feelings about the US shortly following the war.  As for my generation and today's younger ones, I think they (and we) don't try dwelling too much on the past.  It's like families that have skeletons or sensitive issues...well, they don't get looked at or discussed too often, if ever.  My theory is that this is one reason why people and countries tend to repeat history.
 
When Aunt Marilyn's health improves you ought to consider visiting Asia, especially Japan and China.  There are many package tours and cruises if you want the comfort you are used to.  To me, it's evident from visiting several countries in Asia that the trend is definitely showing that the 21st century is the Asia century. This BBC article...the 1st paragraph....explains how/why this is expected.  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7991277.stm


 

A movie I highly recommend. Again, I went through the education system in the USA in my small town. I don't remember learning about Douglas MacArthur. Sad, but true. And this part of history would make us proud, I believe. Not taboo to discuss. Rushed through lessons maybe? Perhaps I wasn't paying attention? I will have to ask my former classmates! Ironically, a older Japanese lady in Sendai, Japan shared some bits about MacArthur, and seemed to like him. A lot of Japanese did, or certainly respected him. You'd better believe I've read up on him now! Anyone want to do coffee and trade notes?
 
And here's a link to my travel blog posts on Japan - my visits, my friends and more.

Finally, for an education class at UNCA, our assignment was to design a WebQuest project for a class level that we would one day teach.  For me, it was a 9th-grade Social Studies class.  And the subject matter I chose was a trip to the Far East.  Destination:  Hiroshima!  Here it is!

And some interesting passages from a book I read:




 


 

No comments: