Crabtree Falls

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Kiwanis Club Pancake Supper


I found this photo by accident.  On The Headland Observer page that I had made into a hi-res image, there was a Headland National Bank ad that I wanted to digitize.   But on that same page, I found this photo.  Look in the back, and you will see another reason why I was attracted to this photo:  my dad!  He was very active in the Kiwanis Club for most of his life.  I remember him taking me to the pancake supper, and he'd introduce me to folks at the table.  I remember Mr. Hodges always being there.  And Uncle Roby.  Russell Holman, too.  Of course, I loved those pancakes, covered with Daddy Buck's Syrup.  And who could forget the Gulledge sausages?!??!?  Dad would also help out in the kitchen with the other club members, and it seemed like something he really enjoyed - the whole event really.  And when I got into the Key Club in high school, I remember helping out in the kitchen once myself - mixing and pouring batter.  But I much preferred the eating!

There he is again!  And some other relatives.

photo provided by Craig Dixon of Facebook page, Headland Friends and Memories








While it's on my mind, I remember when I was boy and out in the garage on Solomon Road, seeing US flags rolled up on long metal poles and stacked on the floor.  These were the Kiwanis Club flags, and they'd put out by members - and Dad did this very often - on holidays, like Veterans Day, Memorial Day and July 4th.  And when I got a little bit older, I would go with Dad on these "putting out the flag" days.  I would sit in the truck as Dad pulled up to the next stop, parked the truck and jumped out, got a flag, unrolled it, and placed it in a hole in ground.  He might have had at least twenty-five stops.  And I would sometimes hold the legal pad, and check off what he had just done, and then read out the next spot, until we did them all.  And I remember it could be raining or a big thunderstorm could be brewing, but he'd be out there, putting the flags in their right spot.  Then, when I got my driver's permit, and later my license, we'd often go first pick up the flags together.  They were stored in a shed near the Headland water tower.  We'd count out the number we needed, and put them in the back of the truck.   The flag end - rolled up around the pole and wrapped with a rubber band - would be hanging out the back.  By this time, I was jumping out lots of the time, placing the flags where they needed to be.  Sometimes I'd drive or sometimes Dad would drive.  We were together, and we'd talk some sports, or I would share something about school.  Listening to the radio was also something we enjoyed - might have been an Auburn football show or just music on KMX or WOOF.  Several days later, once the holiday had passed, we'd go back out in pick up the flags, transporting them back to the shed for the next time.  He'd say "Be sure to lock the lock."  And I would.




Here are several more Kiwanis Club photos.  A big thanks to Craig Dixon for finding and share these.














1 comment:

Craig said...

Very cool. Nice to read that after I posted the photo article on the Headland FB group and glad I had come across a photo that fits your story. In 1979 was probably that time when you were a little boy doing that very thing with him. What a nice memory this was for you.