Up on Craggy Pinnacle. Art by Helen Nagan.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Self-Help Messiah

 
Author Steven Watts talks about his latest book here.
 
 
This Carnegie title (above), Norman Vincent Peale's The Power of Positive Thinking and Anthony Robbins' Awaken the Giant Within were three books I read during those early months in Thailand (2000) when I was looking for some non-Bible inspirational reading that both complemented my evangelical underpinnings and encouraged my growing understanding of the world as I was seeing it.  Carnegie and Peale, in particular, I found to be very refreshing.  I could identify with their backgrounds and their pursuit of an assertive yet more moderate Christian path.  They paid a price for their independence, but remained unwavering in their journeys.  Really helped me through some hard times.  I call it the crossing from certainty (fundyism) to uncertainty (where I am now).   Only now I know uncertainty is not as threatening, and even is more fulfilling. 
 
March 31 Update:  At Grove Park Inn today, saw where Norman Vincent Peale was once a guest.
 

No comments: