Crabtree Falls

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Self-Help Messiah

 
 
This Carnegie title (above), Norman Vincent Peale's The Power of Positive Thinking and Anthony Robbins' Awaken the Giant Within were three books I read during those early months in Thailand (2000) when I was looking for some non-Bible inspirational reading that both complemented my evangelical underpinnings and encouraged my growing understanding of the world as I was seeing it.  Carnegie and Peale, in particular, I found to be very refreshing.  I could identify with their backgrounds and their pursuit of an assertive yet more moderate Christian path.  They paid a price for their independence, but remained unwavering in their journeys.  Really helped me through some hard times.  I call it the crossing from certainty (fundyism) to uncertainty (where I am now).   Only now, I know uncertainty is not as threatening, and even is more fulfilling. 
 
Update:  At the Grove Park Inn (Asheville) today, I saw where Norman Vincent Peale was once a guest.

No comments: