Crabtree Falls

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Fav Foods


A cousin and I exchanged our lists of favorite and least favorite foods.  We were mainly thinking back to childhood, and the foods we'd mostly have at home or people's houses or holiday gatherings.  I got this started by first mentioning that Salisbury steak was always one of my favorite entrees.  Funny thing is, I had never had it homemade.  It was the TV Dinner version!!  But I just liked the texture of it, the seasoning, and all that gravy.  Meatloaf has that same texture, and I love it!  Interestingly enough, in Bangkok years ago, a friend (Kyoko) took me to a Japanese restaurant she recommended.  And on the menu, I saw a photo of hamburg with gravy.  It reminded me of Salisbury steak!  I ordered it, and boy was it delicious!  Kyoko then made fun of me a bit by saying that all kids in Japan really love it!  I guess it's a comfort food. 

Favorites growing up:  meatloaf, Salisbury steak, fresh crab meat, rutabagas, squash, cream corn, grilled onions, liver, baked chicken, cabbage, mashed potatoes, fried fish, English peas, broccoli, oyster stew, ribeye steaks
 
Things I hated: yeast rolls, celery, spaghetti, mustard, root beer, olives, rye bread, pumpernickel bread, mint ice cream, pimento cheese, potato salad, Maraschino cherries, hot sauce, deviled eggs
 
Foods I've grown to love:  spaghetti, beets, real cherries, fresh coconut, deviled eggs, potato salad

and to add three other categories........based on likes today.
 
Favorite ethnic foods:  Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Indian, Italian, French, Sri Lankan

Foods in general (besides ones I loved when young):  buttermilk fried chicken, raw oysters, homemade fries, baked sea bass, Kade's Thai and Thai-American fusion dishes, buttermilk wedge salad, mussels, spaghetti with meatballs, beet salad

Desserts:  bread pudding, Kade's chocolate cake, ice cream,  chocolate walnut brownies, Kade's strawberry champagne cake 

No comments: