Crabtree Falls

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Edna Grace Phillips


Edna Grace Phillips was the daughter of Thomas Phillips and Ruby Grace (Victor Grace's oldest sister).  She married Jack Bryan.  As a matter of fact, my parents (Charles Hayes and Rosanna) and Jack and Edna had a double wedding.  Edna was my mother's first cousin (Phillips side) and my Daddy's first cousin (Grace side).

Tragically, she died of a brain tumor at around 21 years of age.  I was 3 years old and I remember my mother lifting me up to see her in her coffin.  I remember exactly how she looked.  She was beautiful.  Her daughter, Julia Ann Bryan Owens, was 2 when her mother died.    

Miss Jane Espy, the teacher in the photo, taught me biology, chemistry and physics in high school.  She was one of the best and most respected teachers throughout her long career.

- Elaine Kennedy

No comments: