Crabtree Falls

Saturday, April 8, 2017

Big Man at Best Buy



A few years ago when I was shopping at Best Buy in Asheville, I noticed a very tall figure out of the corner of my eye.  I looked over.  This guy was 15 feet away and heading for the door, when I asked in a semi-loud voice, "Hey, aren't you Brad Daugherty?"  He smiled a tad and nodded his head yes.  I maybe gave him a thumbs up, then he walked on.   After telling this story to a relative, I got this surprise card in the mail, from that very relative!

I always thought that I saw Daugherty in the NCAA tourney back in the '80s, when they were playing Auburn in Birmingham.  I was with my dad.  It was definitely a Tar Heels team, but might have been a year after Daugherty left.  I need to check.  But no doubt, in the '80s and early '90s, when I really enjoyed watching NBA games on TV, the Cavaliers were a lot of fun to watch.  Mark Price & Brad Daugherty were quite the duo!

I did just discover, thanks to Google, that Brad Daugherty played high school in nearby Black Mountain, NC, only 15 minutes from Asheville.  This explains a lot!  I guess he was home visiting, or is back living here.

Congratulations North Carolina Tar Heels - 2017 NCAA Men's Basketball Champions

No comments: