Hank, Merle and Waylon. West Asheville.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Repurposing

What do you do with all those childhood trophies that now clutter up tops of closets, sit in giant plastic containers or piled up in the garage somewhere.....or even worse, boxed away in a mini-warehouse.  My solution was to figure out how to repurpose them.  I took images of each trophy for my digital archive, which is far less bulky, yet easily accessible.  And my Google searches turned up some creative ideas for using parts and pieces of the trophies.  For example, you can make candle holders, or use them as ornaments on planters, or make unique wine corks.  But the one that stood out the most was a simple coat rack.  So, I had to find the sturdiest pieces, take them off and then place an ad on Craigslist for a woodworker.  Can't wait to see the results!  The remaining trophies and parts, after contacting trophy businesses to find out if they had value (they don't), I donated them to Goodwill, so that someone could salvage parts.  You could also contact your local Boys & Girls Club to see if they'd like them. Perhaps it would cost a lot less to restore them, and then add new engravings when contests roll around.  All I can say is I am one 35 gallon container freer, and 75 pounds lighter.  












No comments: