Crabtree Falls

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Actor in the Family

Pictured above is Thomas Marion Espy.  He was an older brother to my great-grandfather, John Jolly Espy, Sr..  In fact, the two of them were partners in a law firm in Dothan, Alabama before my great-grandfather relocated up the road to Headland, which is where I was born and where my father lives today. 

Thomas Espy's home in Dothan, AL

As a result of my family research, I have connected with a couple of Thomas Marion Espy's grandchildren:  Griggs Espy and William (Bill) Gray Espy.  Griggs is a financial investor and resides in Dothan.  He's actually the one who sent me the photo of his grandfather.  His brother Bill Espy is a former actor who starred in some day-time soap operas in the '70s and '80s.  The rest of this post reveals more about Bill and his career.  I would encourage you to google William Gray Espy to find more information about him.  Here's an autograph he signed for a fan.  Since his retirement Bill has done some wonderful work raising awareness and money for Alzheimer's research.


 















source (5 images above)



Bill played Snapper from 1973-1975.  Click here for the very first episode of Young and the Restless, and see if you can spot Bill.  The actor who followed him in that role was David Hasselhoff.  Click and scroll here for a picture of Bill and David.  Later, Bill played Mitch on Another World.  Bill also appeared in a couple of Miami Vice episodes and some other TV and film roles.

3 comments:

lindasharon99@yahoo.com said...

To William Gray Espy. Hello, my great grandmother, was an Espy from Columbia, Alabama. Her parents were William and Harriet Espy from Eufaula, Alabama. She married Thomas Skipper. Just wondered which of the Espys you are adecedent from. Thanks, as I am very interested in my ancestry. As a matter of fact, I was born in Dothan, and have a few close relatives still there. Sincerely yours, a relative, Linda Seaborn

lindasharon99@yahoo.com said...

Please contact William Gray Espy and ask him to email me. lindasharon99@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

The story, according to The Espy-Espey Genealogy Book Vol. I, p. 123:

"Thomas Marion Espy married second supposedly on 10 September 1899 Mamie Louise Brewer, daughter of Rev. George E. Brewer then State Chaplain for convicts. This marriage was of very short duration, but dissolved on an amicable basis, although family history states the reason that Thomas Marion made a demand upon his second wife that his foxhounds be allowed to stay in the house. When Mamie stated that either the foxhounds went or she would go, the marriage was dissolved. No children by second marriage. Mamie later married Dr. W. T. Gautier. Mamie is buried in Opelika."

Thomas Marion Espy was married three times. Marian/Marion Elizabeth Espy ( Daddy's first cousin I mentioned to you recently) was one of several children born to the third wife. She was married to Carey Hooks, a somewhat distant cousin of my mother's. Thomas Marion and John J. Espy, Sr. practiced law together in Dothan for awhile. Then, John J. Espy, Sr. left the law practice in Dothan and built his businesses in Headland. I know there are still grandchildren of Thomas Marion who continue to live in the Dothan area. One had married into the King Ranch family, but later divorced. Another has been on soap operas and in the movies.

Beverly