Crabtree Falls

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Surprises in the Fridge


When I was a boy and I was over at my grandmother's house on Main Street in Headland, AL, I would often look in the fridge.  On occasion, when I got lucky, I would find a date roll my grandmother had made.  It was sweet and good!

Here's a recipe for that very date roll that my grandmother would make.  Years ago my aunt emailed it to me. 

Subject:  found that recipe printed on a napkin; ha!

Mother's Date Nut Roll

3 cups sugar                       1 cup milk
1 box chopped dates          6 chopped cherries
1 cup chopped pecans        1/2 stick oleo

Bring milk, sugar, dates & cherries to a boil, stirring as needed to dissolve sugar.  When it comes to a boil, turn the heat down and cook until it forms a soft ball.  (To determine this, drop small drop of thickened candy into a cup of water; roll between fingers and it forms a ball).  Add oleo and set aside to cool, about 5 minutes. 

Add the chopped pecans and beat by hand until stiff and it loses its shine.  Pour onto a wet tea cloth and roll cloth around it forming a log.  After roll hardens (sets up firm) unroll, dust with confectioners' sugar, slice and serve. 

ENJOY!

No comments: