Crabtree Falls

Friday, April 20, 2012

Magic/Bird

My brother Miles and I will have to watch the new Broadway play, Magic/Bird, together one weekend in the Big Apple. He grew up pulling for the Celtics, and I, of course, was for the Lakers.

In time I hope to add a scan of a photo of Larry Legend that I actually gave Miles in 1993.  I was working at AmSouth Investment Services in Birmingham and was asked to carry a package to an office in another part of town.  When I reached my destination, I struck up a conversation with a secretary who, very surprisingly, was from French Lick, Indiana, Larry Bird's hometown.  I told her about the Magic/Bird, Allen/Miles rivalry, and she pulled out a picture she took of Larry Bird when he was in high school or college.  The picture is of a shirtless Bird on an asphalt court, holding a basketball.  I told her I would do anything for that picture.  Let's just say this:  I got it!  I then gave it to Miles, who was very appreciative.

If you want to know what I had to do to get that picture, you'd better come have coffee with me in Asheville.

That's the picture, on the left.  The one on the right is one I took of Air Jordan during a golf tournament in Birmingham.  To think, Jordan had three more NBA championships to go!



If you want to read a very good review of the play, here ya go.


I had the Magic shoes, and my brother wore the Bird ones.

No comments: