Crabtree Falls

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Reptile Encounter

After several consecutive days of blistering heat, we were very fortunate to have a recent evening of steady rain.  The morning after, Kade and I got up and decided to walk my normal 5 mile (nearly) routine through some North Asheville neighborhoods. It was the first time I had walked since the "Bataan Death March" through Pisgah Forest. My body had mostly recovered, and my mind was set on bouncing back.

Thanks to the rain and its cool after effects, walking was very pleasant! We noticed quickly that we weren't the only ones in good moods. Birds, neighborhood dogs, flying insects and more were also taking advantage of the healthy respite from the heat. One such pleasure seeker was a small snake that crossed right in front of us - literally just in front our shoes. If I just had the video of Kade screaming and jumping - simultaneously, of course - and it causing a similar reaction in me, it would be priceless.

As you will see, my NGEO and Animal Planet TV watching prepared me for the encounter. Who knows? Maybe there's a Steve Irwin program in my future!

No comments: