Crabtree Falls

Thursday, September 26, 2013

A Walk in the City


Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyWalk




Unless you simply enjoy walking alone, I would encourage you to organize a group.  The accountability and motivation that you gain from being with others really pays off.  The other day, when we did this 5.51 mile walk, I would have for sure stopped at 3 miles had I been on my own. But there were a couple of people who wanted to push on, and I went along.  The result: I ended up walking the longest distance ever for me in the city.  Check my other mapped routes under Map My Walk and you will see that a few times I approached that 5 mile mark, but had never gone over it.  Another plus for walking with others is that long walks just seem shorter.  Maybe it's having conversations with interesting people.  You're learning something!  Our little group on this walk was typical Asheville - people who have moved here from all over, mixed in with a local or two.  This time it was San Fran, Boston, Ohio, Alabama and a couple of native Carolinians.  My goal, going forward, through the Fall and until winter becomes unbearable, is to organize more walks like this - twice per week in the city.  Of course, I want to continue the nature hikes.

No comments: