Crabtree Falls

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Buck Spring Trail

“I'm a person of the mountains and the open paddocks and the big empty sky, that's me, and I knew if I spent too long away from all that I'd die; I don't know what of, I just knew I'd die.”
John Marsden, A Killing Frost

Buck Spring Trail Overlook - view from site of George W. Vanderbilt's hunting lodge.
Our hike was 3.1 miles.


George Washington Vanderbilt was the grandson of the "commodore" Cornelius Vanderbilt. Mr. Vanderbilt began buying land south of Asheville in 1888, and by the time he finished, he owned about 125,000 acres, including Mt. Pisgah. Near Asheville, he built his famous Biltmore House, the grounds of which Fredrick Law Olmstead landscaped.

In the Mount Pisgah area, the Vanderbilts kept 471 acres in Buck Springs Gap, about a mile from Pisgah Inn. Here George W. Vanderbilt had constructed a popular log hunting lodge. The main lodge had 4 bedrooms, breezeway-connected building had two two-bedroom suites, and the kitchen/dining building was connected to the other two. There were several buildings near these buildings. Mr. Vanderbilt built Buck Spring Lodge just before the turn of the century, and the others were razed in 1961.   - Source

No comments: