Crabtree Falls

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Albany, GA News

My brother, Miles.  Profile in The Albany Herald, 2006.
 
And below is a segment from "On the Job with..."
 
Q. Do you have a role model or mentor in your career?
 
A. When I think about a role model, I think of my grandfather, Major W. Espy. When my great-grandfather, John Jolly Espy, was killed in an automobile accident, Major, at the young age of 25, became the president of a locally-owned bank in his father's place. Although he passed away when I was just in the fifth grade, I remember that he made others around him feel important. Although he operated a number of business ventures, including a bank, a mercantile store, a fertilizer plant, and farming operations, he was never prideful and always had time for others including his grandchildren. I never heard him gossip or say anything bad about his fellow man. He had a way of lifting those up around him. As I grew into a young man in Headland, people from all walks of life would remind me of what a great man Major was. To this day, I'll be in meetings with people that knew him well, and they will quote statements that he made decades ago. Certainly, my mother and father were good role models as well, but my grandfather has truly been an inspiration for my career.
 
Click here for the full Q & A

No comments: