Crabtree Falls

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Hitler's Pope

"There has never been anything more grandiose on the earth than the hierarchical organization of the Catholic Church. I transferred much of this organization into my own party." - Adolph Hitler - (The Nazi Persecution of the Churches" by J.S. Conway - Pgs. 25, 26 & 162)

Several years ago when Kade and I were in Hanoi for a short vacation - we had flown over from Bangkok - I watched a program one night on CCTV (China's version of National Geographic, PBS and C-Span).  It was a symposium on World War Two, one of my passions that developed after years of traveling and reading.  One particular aspect of the presentation really caught my interest.  Later, in a nice e-mail to Dad - I always e-mailed in a calm fashion, the way I'd try to talk with him or anyone else in person - I inserted the following blurb from the CCTV program, just to see how he would respond.  He had been e-mailing on variety of topics up to that point.  But he chose not to answer this one.  I later sent the answer to him. 

You know that now the 60th anniversary of the second world war is being marked. A month or two ago I saw a TV program where a Jewish professor, Russian diplomat and Chinese historian were asked what brought about World War Two and, in particular, the Final Solution to exterminate the Jews. What do you think the response was?

And in that follow-up e-mail to Dad, I shared the answer (below) and provided some background information (below).  And, again, no response.  Just some terrain he wasn't familiar with.  The irony was......it was new to me too.  That aspect, anyway.  I didn't get it Headland, growing up or in school.  Even at Samford University, I wasn't confronted with any of this.  Eventually, curiosity got the best of me, and my subsequent inquiries led me to sometimes unsettling discoveries.
 
The response that they gave was the fact that groups of people maintain beliefs that their way is the sole way to God.

There is evidence that the Catholic Church headed by Pius XII stood by as Hitler's plans went into effect. The Jews were called the "killers of Christ." Check out the link of Hitler receiving priestly support.   Just click here to see.....

What are your thoughts on this?  Does/Can a belief in a single way to God lead to genocides? 

No comments: