Crabtree Falls

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Uzbeks in Sweet Home Alabama

A few years after studying at Samford University in the Magic City (B'ham, AL), Ulugbek Khasanov decided to return to the US for a visit.  This was in 1996.  He and his wife first made their way down to Headland, Alabama so they could see my family, especially Uncle Jim.  After that, I took them up to Birmingham, where they visited my sister's family.  I also drove them around the Samford campus, over to Mountain Brook and one evening we went to a dance club in Five Points South.  







Ulugbek studied at Samford in '92.  Shortly after, Uncle Jim and I traveled to Central Asia to see him and another friend, Timour.  Once I graduated from Samford in '93, I set off fairly quickly to Tashkent, Uzbekistan to live and work for almost a year.  Then in 1996, when I was back living in LA (Lower Alabama), Ulugbek and his wife made this journey.  A couple of years later, in 1998, I took my two-week vacation and flew to Tashkent to reunite with my former students and old friends, Ulugbek and Timour.  Hard to believe that was twenty years ago!!  In 2007. Kade and I took a trip to Moscow, and that's where Timour was living.  Got to spend quality time with him then.  To bring all this back to Alabama......a couple of years ago, Ulugbek's brother Jalal came over to see Uncle Jim, on what was his 90th birthday.  Uncle Jim, besides that initial trip with me to Central Asia, has been over there a couple of other times.

No comments: