Crabtree Falls

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

A Large One


We were alerted to a bear sighting on the Weaver Blvd greenway (goes by UNCA) by a jogger and some other walkers.   As we got closer to Merrimon Avenue, another walker said they saw it cut across a yard, going north.  We decided to take the next road up, just in case we could spot it......cameras going.  On up a bit on Chatham Rd, I noticed a large white truck that would stop, then ease along, then stop again.  In the past, a few times I've seen bears, it was vehicles and other people's actions that caught my attention first.  Kade's good at picking up on those signals.  So we saw this truck, and sure enough, they were filming the bear.  If you listen closely, I say, "It charged them."  The bear did what's considered a bluff charge.  In this case, it wasn't all the way down to the truck.  It was up in the flower bed.  Back it up and you can see that quick movement, then the sudden stop.  Bears do this to tell you to back off.  Although we could have continued walking up that road after the bear, probably wouldn't have been smart.  I got my one minute of footage, and then we walked back the way we came up.  On the day, we got in 8.07 miles, which is two more than I like to do.  However, the excitement of possibly seeing a bear made us forget about how tough the walk was.  Something to say about that.

No comments: