Crabtree Falls

Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Improvisation

the views on the way to Highland Brewing


 


I'm pretty sure that's a mural of the founder of Highland Brewing, Oscar Wong.








The Asheville area went from this first one in 1994 to 40+ today.  Click here for more photos of Highland Brewery.  It's a big place.  We went there hoping to enjoy the new rooftop bar on the premises.  Unfortunately, it was closed for a special event.  So, we decided to leave Highlands for another brewery.  I guess this is one of the big advantages of living here.  You can improvise, and you can always return.




Our plan was just to go on down to Mills River Brewing.  On the way, we decided to have dinner at Sierra Nevada Brewing.  But no drinks!  I wanted to try their burger since it looked so good the other day when we had lunch there.  I have been on a burger quest of late, trying to see if anything comes close to the one at Stoney Knob Cafe.  Although Sierra Nevada's met the eye test, it fell way short.  In fact, I would not even put it anywhere near the top five burgers in Asheville.  For one thing, it was too salty.  And then it was overcooked.  However, that aside, Sierra Nevada is one of my favorite breweries.  It really is all-around spectacular.  And the other foods we'd tried - salad, wings, desserts, etc. - have been delicious.
 








Click here for even more photos.  We hit it on a weeknight, and stayed until closing.  That's how I was able to capture the last image.  But it was pretty busy while we were there.  I am not anywhere close to being a beer aficionado, so I am always hesitant to rate places based on the quality of their brews.  It would be kind of foolish really.  We usually just get flights, and then sit and sip.  I also ask the bartender to help me select.  Mills River's bartender was super helpful!  I am more into the overall vibe of breweries, and the people watching.  The beer at Mill River was good to me.  If you're in Asheville, try the bigger, fancier places like New Belgium and Wicked Weed.   But don't forget the little guys.  And there are more of them!

No comments: