Crabtree Falls

Friday, February 24, 2023

One Year On

This will be a spot where some alternative news and my own personal opinion about the biggest news of the last year, and I'm sure this one.  For those who don't know, I traveled to Russia and Central Asia just after the break-up of the USSR and I lived in Uzbekistan (ex-USSR) for a year right after college.  At the end of that year, I traveled through more of the former USSR and lots of Eastern Europe.  I even returned to Uzbekistan a few years laters to see my old friends (students I taught English).  Then on top of all that, my wife and spent a month in Russia in 2007.  We were in Moscow and St. Petersburg.  We traveled on our own, and not on a group tour.  So, naturally, I have particular interest in that part of the world: foods, culture, history, geo-political matters and current news.  I also believe that people should think critically to ascertain the facts about a situation.  And if we don't know what's going, it' okay to admit it.  But there are ways and means to get at the truth, if we really want to.  It starts with recognizing that it's human nature, even for the smartest of us, to gravitate to a particular group, party or collective position/opinion/rationale.  It's hard thinking differently and going against the herd.  You could be punished for that - yep, even right here in America.

Anyway, this will be an ongoing blog post.




This article talks about the lack of trust people have in the media.

No comments: