Crabtree Falls

Sunday, May 28, 2023

Shaking Things Up


This is a powerful scene from a great movie.  Although I certainly didn't have this level of resistance when dating and later marrying Kade, if I had polled family (and certain ones married into it), especially among the evangelicals, they would have said, "Not good to marry her, at least not until she's Christian."  You can't blame them, because that's what they're taught.  But, there comes a time when you have to follow your own heart and do what's right, for you at least.  And at that age - late twenties, early thirties for me - I had so much confidence.  Plus, I was very aware that those who were questioning it more than others were the ones who had been divorced and/or were curently in unhappy marriages.  It made me smile inside.  I was living.  Tradition, your gods and your customs are not always bad.  In fact, we can stray too far from them.  However, often they hold you back from living out your potential.  And the unhappier you are, from what I've seen, some of these institutions love that.  In fact, they encourage it.  You're easier to manage that way.  You're more likely to show up and give your money to certain people, causes, groups and institutions.  Not me.  And imagine my statement to Kade when she knew I loved her the way this guy loved his girl.

By the way, I am always grateful to the family and friends who did show me support from the very beginning.  And it was quite a few.  One big sign of support actually came from a minister in the family.  He just said, "I think it's great."  And then there were those who easily came around.  When you meet Kade, what's not to love?!

No comments: