Crabtree Falls

Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Miss Beverly Espy


Beverly (Espy) Dayries

I know this will sound corny, but after I graduated from college I felt very patriotic and wanted to do something for my country.  However, I did not want to join the service (WAVES, WACS, etc.)  I don't recall how I got in touch with the USO, but I decided to join its Atlanta branch.  It was downtown, and the meetings and activities were at night.  Most of the time I drove from the house in Decatur, GA, where I lived to its Atlanta headquarters.  I went about once a week.  At one time, I was secretary at the Atlanta branch.  The Atlanta USO was not for men who were officers.  The young men would go to the USO to socialize, read materials donated there, do their correspondence, and  sometimes get a snack.  I think about once a week there would be a dance at the Atlanta office.  Occasionally they would go by bus to Ft. McPherson, which was not too far from Atlanta.  
 
The hostesses would simply be there for the young men to talk with if they wished.  There would be dances at the Atlanta office.  I don't recall how frequently they were, but likely once a week.  The music was by records.  Volunteers brought light food - cookies, etc.  Someone - one of the young soldiers, for instance - occasionally would get a group together to see a movie.
 
I had dates with a couple of the young men.  Years after Bud and I were married and had our children, one of the soldiers came to Atlanta on business and invited Bud and me to meet him downtown.  We did.  He gave me a silver dollar for our daughters, Amy and Carolyn.  He got my married name and telephone number from my mother.  

I was with the group for several years.
 
Beverly

No comments: