Crabtree Falls

Saturday, June 8, 2024

Strongbox


Beverly (Espy) Dayries -2010

I imagine there are many clippings at your dad's or Marilyn's about my Uncle Major.  I came across one in my daddy's strongbox.  Thought you would like to see it just in case you hadn't.  I will send the two e-mails separately.


The second scan I'll e-mail is an obit re Ella Gray Espy, a sister of J. J. Espy, Sr.  Unfortunately all of the article was not there.  I too in the past have cut obits and failed to clip the entire article when it continued to another area of the paper.  The dates are not on the clippings, but I probably have the DoD of Ella Gray on my FTM.  Anyway, she is possibly buried at the Headland Baptist Cemetery.  I'll have to check.
 
There are a couple of notes sent to me by Uncle Major when I was little - one from Monterrey, Mexico, and another from New Jersey when he was visiting Aunt Frances and Uncle Sid.  Apparently Granny and Watty were at our house on West Benson St., Decatur, at that time.
 
Also found in the strongbox are a couple of old postcards addressed to my daddy.  One or two date back to 1915.  One postcard was addressed to him at Auburn, when he was at the AL Polytechnic Inst.
 
There are copies of letters of recommendation written re my daddy when he was seeking employment at the Federal Reserve Bank in Atlanta.  The letters had likely been requested by J. J. Espy Sr. only a few months before his death.  There was a cover letter to Daddy from him - the only letter I found to my daddy from his father. The letterheads on the items are interesting.  There is one from the Headland Ice and Storage Co. and several from the First National Bank of Headland. Daddy had worked at both of the places. 
 
It is very interesting to me looking through the papers.  I had vague memories of some of the events and people, and these papers help me get these in place.

No comments: