Crabtree Falls

Friday, May 11, 2012

Mother's Day


“A mother is a mother still, The holiest thing alive.”—Samuel Taylor Coleridge
R to L (Leslie, Mark, Miles, Allen, Mother's hands) 
Notice the squirrel on my outfit.  How fitting!
Sunday is Mother's Day.  Like all of us can say about our mothers, we wouldn't be here without them!  My mom had the four of us by the time she was twenty-seven.  Very young, in my book.  Sometimes I will get into conversations with people about parenting, and I'll hear, "Well, couples shouldn't have more than one or two kids."  Of course, they're expressing just how hard it is at times to be parents.  I always tell them, though, I'm very happy my mom didn't stop at two or three!  This Sunday I will be thinking about Mother.  Growing up in Headland, Mother's Day is a time that stands out.  I recall going to church, and they were giving out corsages - like they did every year - to mothers of some kind of distinction.  One award was to the mom with the most kids present with her at church.  Mother won that one several years!  She would proudly walk to the front of the church, and the preacher would pin a corsage on her lovely dress.  Looking back, I never thought four kids was that many!  When I lived in Asia and did a lot of traveling back and forth, on occasion I would bring Mom a brooch from Thailand - something she could wear to church or formal events.  I would jokingly remind her of all the corsages she got on Mother's Day.  She would laugh.  At her memorial service, I brought a corsage (for the four of us) and pinned it to the ribbon on the beautiful flowers that were on the spot where her headstone would be.  Knowing Mother, she would have been more proud of it than all those others combined.  Mom, we love you forever.   

No comments: