Crabtree Falls

Saturday, October 9, 2021

Last Day in Maine

We said our goodbyes to Boothbay Harbor and drove to a very scenic spot about fifteen minutes away:  Ocean Point.  After enjoying that, it was time to drive south to Portland, where more oysters were calling.  But before reaching Portland, we had to go to Day's Crabmeat & Lobster.  The plan was to spend our last half-day in Maine eating lobster rolls and raw oysters.  We accomplished that!  I will have to say that as we drove past Kittery, we thought about returning to Bob's Clam Hut for a lobster roll, since it had been the best of the trip.  In the end, we just didn't want to chance it not living up that original experience again.  So we drove on.

 


Ocean Point


We saw Red's on our way through Wiscasset.  Tempted us, briefly.  There was barely a line, since they were still a few minutes from opening.  We kept driving.

We chose Day's instead!  How did I learn about Day's?!?  Well, one of my favorite YouTube  vloggers, Mark Wiens, recently was in Maine trying lobster rolls at various spots up and down the coast.  One he and his cohorts really liked was Day's Crabmeat & Lobster.  And I figured, based on location, Day's would attract more locals than tourists, or least that the line would be shorter.  Worked out!



One side was a seafood market.



an idyllic setting



A couple of the mayo-based lobster rolls we had tried in Maine were good.  Our favorite, though, was the toasted bun with warm fresh lobster meat and butter.  I guess you can tell which one we got at Day's?!?!  

We also got fried haddock and chips.  Loved it!













There were some I hadn't tried.  What's great is that the hostess, once I told her of my quest to eat as many varieties as possible in Maine, and that I was approaching 50 varieties, did something pretty special.  The Shop had a couple of varieties that had just arrived and were scheduled to be offered on the next day's menu.  However, she worked her magic and also served me those.  I'm always appreciative of excellent service, but that really, really impressed me.  The raw oysters I ate at The Shop were very good, with or without that extra touch.  But because that they did that, I will always think very highly of them.  To think, though, it was my server at their competitor - Eventide Oyster Co. in Portland - who told me about The Shop.  She did so, because I had also mentioned to her about my goal to sample whatever I could.  I learned from both of them that the oyster businesses do compete with one another, yes, but they also truly support one another.  That's a fabulous thing.





Click here for an article about The Shop.



Who needs KFC when you have NFC?!?

an Alabama car way up north

some of Kade's digital images







This last image is of Western Beach at Prouts Neck in Scarborough, ME.  We returned to Scarborough to hike Cliff Trail and walk this beach - two things, logistically, we just couldn't pull off on our way up.  And this time, due to high tide, it was once again impossible.  If there was a single hiccup on our trip, in terms of execution, it was this.

No comments: