Crabtree Falls

Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Set My Soul Afire

"Turn in your hymnals to page 302, and let's sing."



When I was growing up and going to First Baptist Church, I always enjoyed singing this hymn.  At home, I remember many times picking up the hymnal, turning to page 302 (yep, exactly that page), then singing aloud, verse by verse, the hymn, Set My Soul Afire.  I would usually play the role of music minister and tell everyone to open their hymnals.  My mother would often be in the house, and she was quick to compliment my singing.  On occasion, she'd even sing along with me.  I recall once, walking from the living room to the kitchen, hymnal in hands, singing this song with great energy and excitement.  Mother was in the kitchen washing dishes.  She said something like, "Oh, that sounds so beautiful.  You have a wonderful voice!"  Of course, that made me sing even more.  

No comments: