Crabtree Falls

Thursday, September 26, 2024

Starting Out

I shared this with a relative in 2012.  

It took me two months of regular walking with a partner for me to build up the stamina and will to do long walks on my own.  A definite breakthrough was when I could go out and walk five miles simply on my own without wanting to quit or cut it short.  Most of my walks now are solo, and my will to keep walking is pretty strong.  Boredom can seep in, but I counter it by walking in areas where there's a lot of natural beauty.  There are many places like this in Asheville, so I would imagine that I could change routes frequently if need be and always be near a waterfall, mountain, park or lake.  Also, when walking, my mind isn't totally empty.  In fact, I may think through some things or talk out some things (like a crazy person!) as I walk.

I now can walk seven miles with 1200 feet elevation.  I still prefer walking partners, but I go out often on my own.  I have walked virtually every road in North Asheville.  I enjoy getting up in the  mountains, and bears are a big highlight now.  Views are still amazing, but bear sightings are my greatest source of motivation (besides exercise).

No comments: