Crabtree Falls

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Thomas Franklin Espy

This portrait of my great-great grandparents, Thomas Franklin Espy and Frances (Searcy) Espy, was unearthed by my cousin Beverly (Espy) Dayries in 2008, with the help of her husband, Bud Dayries.  It was in their basement.


  • Thomas Franklin Espy, born December 3, 1835, Tallapoosa County, Alabama, died May 14, 1910
  • Frances R. Brazilla Searcy (aka) Fannie, born March 25, 1842, Henry County, Alabama, died January 19, 1896
  • Thomas and Frances had seven children: Theodocia - born 1860, Thomas Marion - born 1862, Ella Gray - born 1866, William Watt - born 1869, James Robert Lee - born 1871, Achsa Pearle - born 1875, and John Jolly, Sr. - born 1878. 



This portrait is a recent jewel I discovered in Uncle Watty's house. It was in a very old, dusty frame. The frame glass was even shattered. This is the Thomas Franklin Espy family. Next to Thomas is his wife Frances. Surrounding them are their children. John J. Espy is standing on the far right.  Griggs Espy (a cousin in Dothan, AL) thinks his grandfather, Thomas Marion Espy, is standing behind Frances.  He also said there were four boys, and that one is obviously missing in this portrait.

The Abbeville Herald
April 29, 2010




from a Larry Smith article dated Dec. 22, 2005



The Montgomery Advertiser
May 10, 1910

The Montgomery Advertiser
May 15, 1910


1 comment:

Beverly Espy Dayries said...

I think I remember hearing that the picture (top) once hung in one of the rooms at the Espy house on Church Street. The children who would visit there always felt that the people in the picture were watching them, and they were spooked by the picture. Some years ago, Elizabeth Espy Hooks, a first cousin to my daddy and your Grandfather Espy, lived not too far from our house here in Atlanta, and I saw her occasionally. In fact, her husband Cary Hooks, was a more distant cousin to my mother. (Both Elizabeth and Cary are now deceased.) I think I remember her mentioning the picture to me, telling me that she and some of her siblings would occasionally visit the Espy house in Headland, and I think she told me the same story - that she could remember them (as children) thinking the picture was scary.