Asheville, North Carolina

Monday, February 23, 2026

23 & Counting

 




Just a few weeks ago, my former neighbor passed away.  He was 94.  Kade and I spent a lot of time with him over a couple of years.  One thing I will never forget is that he told one day, "You have the perfect wife.  She's pretty.  She's very sweet.  She's petite.  She's a great cook.  And she's quiet." 😆  What's funny is that my neighbor, like me, was very talkative.  Anyway, I don't exactly see Kade as quiet.  However, she is very polite and kind and doesn't jump in and cut people off or talk over others, like many do, including myself.


In October 2016, in an e-mail to a family friend (really, distant cousin), I shared that my mother said I really married up when I married Kade. Mom loved her.

His reply: 

On Sunday, October 16, 2016 5:38 PM, Rimson Solomon wrote: 

If you have a chance next summer visit Tiger Mountain Winery in Clayton. Really good wines and on the weekends you can have a good lunch in their Red Barn Restaurant. Rimson PS I think both of you married up 😀

My reply:

Ha. Thanks! Of course, you know Mother meant "married up" in a more substantial way. She just always liked Kade's character. And it's easy to love someone when they are always smiling! What's funny is that I remember mailing a photo home to Dad from Thailand (circa 2001), and included a note that he could tell people that she was my girlfriend.

You might have seen it already, but on my blog, if you scroll down to Mark's 50th birthday party, there's a great photo of him with Kade. There's also a portrait of Mark and his partner, Ralph. Mark actually followed me up here, and loves the city. I think Mother (and Dad) saw Kade's love for Mark and quickly realized that she's a keeper. And you should have seen how she was around Dad in his last months and weeks. On our visits she made him sandwiches, and other times, when he was sitting on the sofa (as he watched TV or ate), Kade scratched his back. During those times, Dad was slumping over quite a bit. The cancer was making him weaker and weaker. Anyway, says something about her.

No comments: